Saturday, November 22, 2008

Recipes from November Book Club

Here are the recipes you ladies wanted!...


Candied Pecans


1 tsp cold water (I used vanilla instead... I'm sure you could replace with other extracts too for fun!)
1 egg white
1 lb. pecans or (other nut of choice)
1 c. sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp salt

Beat water and egg white until frothy. Mix with pecans, spread on cookie sheet
Bake 225 degrees for 1 hr. stir occasionally.


Rolls

Bread mixture:
3 c. scalded milk
1/4 lb. butter or margarine (1/2 cup)
Place butter in milk after it's scalded (this melts the butter)
8 c. flour (I used half white, half wheat, but we've done all white before too and they are yummy both ways, just depends on what you'd like... ummm, you also need a magic hand like Marcus's to really make them amazing. But I'm sure you all have that... his are better than what I made that night.)
2 beaten eggs
1 Tbs. salt

Yeast mixture:
4 Tbs. dry yeast
1/2 c. warm water
1 tsp. sugar

Mix the bread mixture and yeast mixture separately. Let yeast mixture stand and grow for a little bit. Mix together, knead 10 mins and let sit until doubled.
Roll into balls and set in pan, let sit until doubles, bake at 400 for 10 to 15 minutes.
Brush tops of baked rolls with melted butter.


You can find the soup recipe here

You can find the salad recipe here For the salad dressing, I use less oil than it calls for, so just spoon tablespoons (instead of the full measure) in at a time until you think it looks like a good balance.

For the stuffed apple dessert, I peeled and cored out the seeds of the apples but left the bottoms in tact. (a good apple-y tasting apple is the best, like Jona Gold, though I used Granny Smith this last time and that seemed to work well) I placed caramels, milk and dark chocolate chips, cinnamon, sugar, cloves, and nutmeg on the inside. I poured apple cider into the pan and over top of the apples (I actually only used store bought apple juice, but I've done apple cider before and I think the Allred Orchards cider is the best to use.) You could also use a bit of "apple crisp" or " apple cobbler" topping and stuff it in too, or your favorite candy bars, like skor and snickers! - whatever you'd like!
(I made the mistake this time of adding one more caramel too soon to the end and so it didn't have a chance to melt fast enough, then became hard and too sticky-to-your-teeth when the ice cream was added and cooled it -don't do that, if you add one more close to the middle of cooking, it will have more time to melt!)
I cooked it at 325 to 350 for about an hour and 20 minutes (check it towards the end and make sure it looks "baked" through) Frequently take a spoon and spoon the juices over top as it's cooking.

Bon Appetit! I'm glad you liked it! Now the rest of you... post your recipes too!

These are some that I recall that I'd and think we all would like...

Biscotti and a really yummy punch one summer at Britney's
Some delicious crepe toppings at Christie's (mushroom and ? sauce, some other really yummy ones)
Kara's White berry pie and soup (only heard about this, sad I missed out!)
Becky's potato rolls
Heidi had a lentil soup that was really good, and Kara had a lentil salad
Shauna's pumpkin cookies (with that glaze recipe please!), and soup recipe
Chantel's creme brulee recipe
I haven't made it to every one this year, so I'm sure there are more scrumptious ones that I'm missing!
Rebirth those delicious memories !
P.S. I just noticed Kara posted hers below! Thanks! Mmmm!

2 comments:

Robyn said...

All these delicious recipes prove once again why I love you all and enjoy coming to bookclub so much! You're great cooks! I can't wait to get all these recipes. Yum.

Shauna said...

I can't wait to make these pecans for my family. I could drink them, if it were possible. Ditto to the above statement, you all make the best food.