Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Another suggestion...



The astonishing, uplifting story of a real-life Indiana Jones and his humanitarian campaign to use education to combat terrorism in the Taliban's backyard. Anyone who despairs of the individual's power to change lives has to read the story of Greg Mortenson, a homeless mountaineer who, following a 1993 climb of Pakistan's treacherous K2, was inspired by a chance encounter with impoverished mountain villagers and promised to build them a school. Over the next decade he built fifty-five schools especially for girls that offer a balanced education in one of the most isolated and dangerous regions on earth. As it chronicles Mortenson's quest, which has brought him into conflict with both enraged Islamists and uncomprehending Americans, Three Cups of Tea combines adventure with a celebration of the humanitarian spirit.  352 pages

6 comments:

Christie said...

I was excited to read this one. I heard it was good. It looked good. I just couldn't get through it. Neither could the gals in my other book club, so we never ended up discussing it.

Britney said...

I've wanted to read this for awhile too. I've heard it's a tough read, but an incredible story.

Heidi said...

Well maybe we should pass on this book then...I'll think of another book to suggest instead.

After "A Suitable Boy" I don't want to be responsible for nominating a stinker! :)

At least this one was under 1400 pages.

Heidi said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Robyn said...

For the record Heidi... I give you a hard time about Suitable Boy, but I am really glad that you nominated it and that we read it! It was truly a feat to complete, but I don't regret it. Having said that, I do not plan to read another 1400 page book anytime soon!

Amber said...

I did read this one...and finished it. It has changed how I see our war on terrorism and also makes me feel closer to the people in Kabul when I see it on the news. It's a great book...it's like life...things take a while to get started some times and then things start to fall into place...then bigger than we expected...so we are called to rise to the challenge of what we created.