Monday, August 17, 2009

Truly Essential Tales of Chekhov

It's really hard to narrow these down. They are all so unusual that it's hard to pick favorites. But, here are the ones that are most talked about, along with a couple that I really liked but aren't frequently mentioned.

A Trifle from Life
Hush!
Champagne
The Kiss
The Grasshopper
Ward No. 6
Gooseberries
The Darling
The Lady with the Dog

After having written that list, I really do recommend reading all of them. The whole book is only 337 pages, and every story seemed to give me some new insight. Ward No. 6 was the only story on my list that was a little hard for me to get through, but it was worth it. I don't know if you need to read the introduction first, it's probably better to read it after the stories. But I liked these quotes from the introduction:

"If anything can be termed 'typical (Chekhov)' it is that he insists we keep our notice close to life's nuance, it's intimate gestures and small moral annotations."

"As readers of imaginative literature, we are always seeking clues, warnings: where in life to search more assiduously; what not to overlook; what's the origin of this sort of human calamity, that sort of joy and pleasure; how can we live nearer to the latter, further off from the former? And to such seekers as we are, Chekhov is guide, perhaps the guide."

I don't know that I'd call him the guide, but he is pretty remarkable. Read away and enjoy!

6 comments:

Heidi said...

Thanks Kara! I can't wait to get started.

Britney said...

Does anybody have a copy I can borrow? I'm having a hard time tracking it down.

Kara said...

I promised mine to Shauna. But, if she's quick maybe you can have it after she's done.

Robyn said...

This is an interesting book, I'm glad you suggested it Kara. It's quirky. I've only read Neighbors and Champagne so far. Britney I will try to at least get to the other stories Kara suggested then you can borrow it... assuming you haven't found another copy yet.

Robyn said...

Britney I just saw the countdown and realized I'd better get going!! Didn't realize it's only a week away. How did that happen?!

Britney said...

Thank you Robyn!! Actually, a copy just came in at the BYU library and Jonathon went and picked it up for the other night. So, I have one now. Thank you though.

I ditto Robyn though,...I'm really enjoying it. I've read several of them (they are quick and easy) and have stewed over them a bit and want to re-read the few we will be talking about. Thanks for the suggestion Kara.