Saturday, August 29, 2009

Question about our upcoming Chekhov book club

Christie and I have a friend named Anne Purves whom we wanted to invite to book club. She was the one who told me how much she loved the Chekhov short stories and inspired me to read them. Her husband is a professor of Russian Literature at BYU. So, we thought it would be fun if she came to book club this month. I talked to her yesterday, and she said she could for sure come. She also said that her husband would probably be willing to come and talk to us about it if we want. He did his dissertation on Chekhov short stories. So, what do you guys think? Do we want him to come? What would we want him to do? Just provide an intro? Answer questions? Lead the discussion? Or, would you rather just have our normal discussion without professional guidance and masculine involvement? She said he could come for just 20 minutes, or longer, or not at all. He has done this sort of thing for a couple of other book clubs already.

So . . . what do you guys think?

7 comments:

Kara said...

Hey guys. Just making sure you saw this post, as I would really like your input.

Christie said...

I think it would be a shame to pass up the opportunity!

Britney said...

Anything's fine with me. I would say maybe don't have him come the ENTIRE time, but a quick 20 minute thing would be great. I so love our girl time that I want to be sure we still squeeze it in. ;) I would love some insight.

{He did his dissertation on Chekhov short stories???? Really???? Wowza.}

Heidi said...

I think it would be great to hear what he has to share too!

I agree with Britney in that I would like to have most of the discussion with just the "girls" since sometimes it can get personal and a little silly :) But I would love to hear what he has to say -- but whatever everyone else wants is coo with me.

Steph said...

Sounds great! I also like the idea of having him come for a short time-- mostly because I don't want to miss an opportunity for Brittany's Russian accent. (you'd better bring it, sista!)

Amber said...

I love Ann! and her husband is super cool so that will be fun to hear from him about something he must love. i've been reading some of the stories tonight...there's a lot packed in there. giving him a 20 min time limit would probably be good.

Amber said...

I love Ann! and her husband is super cool so that will be fun to hear from him about something he must love. i've been reading some of the stories tonight...there's a lot packed in there. giving him a 20 min time limit would probably be good.