Sunday, October 19, 2008

What I want to read...

Okay, so I wont threaten you like Robyn -- but here are two books I will throw in the mix.

I have wanted to read this book for a long time. I have heard so many good things about it.

First Sentence:

I am doomed to remember a boy with a wrecked voice-not because of his voice, or because he was the smallest person I ever knew, or even because he was the instrument of my mother's death, but because he is the reason I believe in God; I am a Christian because of Owen Meany.

From Goodreads:
Writing from his home in Toronto, Canada in 1987, John Wheelwright narrates the story of his childhood. Peppering his narrative with frequent diary entries in which he chronicles his outrage against the behavior of the Ronald Reagan administration in the late 1980s, Wheelright tells the story of his early life in Gravesend, New Hampshire, when his best friend was Owen Meany, who he remembers as the boy who accidentally killed Wheelwright's mother and made Wheelright believe in God. The narrative of A Prayer for Owen Meany does not follow a perfect chronology, as John pieces together the story he wants to tell.

In the summer of 1953, two eleven-year-old boys -— best friends -— are playing in a Little League baseball game in Gravesend, New Hampshire. One of the boys hits a foul ball that kills the other boy’s mother. The boy who hits the ball doesn’t believe in accidents; Owen Meany believes he is God’s instrument. What happens to Owen, after that 1953 foul ball, is extraordinary and terrifying.

This one is too I have wanted to read. Who doesn't love a love story. Well OK excluding Chantel.

From Amazon.com:
This is a beautifully written story, cleverly and very poignantly told from the point of view of a 70-something man - a careful, considerate London solicitor who is the trustee (with broad discretionary powers) of a will that leaves a considerable sum of money (but not a lump sum, due to the conditions of the will) to a young woman.

Jean Paget is that young woman, and she is an extraordinary person, making her story very compelling reading.

The weaving of the threads of her life - her WWII experiences as a prisoner of the Japanese in Malaya; her fateful encounter with Australian Joe Harmon; the inheritance that allows her to leave the mundane working world; her interaction with solicitor Noel Strachan; and her search for her true destiny - is done in the most masterful way.

6 comments:

Chantel said...

Let me guess, someone gets eaten and in the end everyone dies...unhappily.

Heidi said...

Oh come on Chantel -- what's wrong with a good BBQ? Actually i really do think it's just a love story. It was a Masterpiece Theater once too.

Anonymous said...

帳號的設計 要有什麼經驗
發問者: Hokkiao ( 實習生 5 級)
發問時間: 2008-10-07 06:59:19 ( 還有 1 天發問到期 )
解答贈點: 20 ( 共有 0 人贊助 )
回答:
2 意見: 0
[ 檢舉 ]
zycxxcz1234.blogspot.com

方案 : 一ㄍ 【WRETCH】 categorization分類 TRANSFER->一ㄍ [BLOGSPOT] ID帳號








NATIONAL TAIWANUNIVERSITY
IWANNA

Heidi said...

What the?

Brenda said...

I'll say! WTF?

Robyn said...

What the heck is that?!?!?!

Anyway, it's funny you suggested a Town Like Alice b/c we were just talking about it at my other bookclub last night! Can we arrange it so that we read it at the same time? that would be great.

Sorry if I scared anyone with my threats... I was totally kidding. And please note I have withdrawn my submission for that book and presented a new one... for the Good of the People. Hee hee