Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Paper Wings, my new submission



Ok, I am taking back my suggestion for Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close and putting in this one for Paper Wings. I am worried, after talking to some more people, that ELIC will not be a crowd pleaser. Meaning there is stuff in there that might offend. Instead, I am going with Paper Wings, another highly recommended book that will be a little less likely to stir up controversy. I am planning on reading the other during December, in case anyone wants to join me.

Paper Wings, the first novel by Marly Swick, balances on the fulcrum of one of America's key turning points. The time is the autumn of 1963. Suzanne Keller, a 12-year-old, resides in a brand new suburban tract filled with young families whose lives seem to stretch before them with endless hope and possibility. But all that comes to an end with the crack of Lee Harvey Oswald's rifle--the assassination of J.F.K. changes everything. As the country drifts towards the Vietnam War, Suzanne's parents begin to drift apart, her mother finding refuge behind a pair of dark glasses, while her father seeks solace in an extramarital affair. Swick, the author of three collections of short stories, including the award-winning A Hole in the Language, turns her sharp eye to that moment in history when it seemed that everything changed, forever

No comments: