Saturday, January 3, 2009

Sausage & Lentil Soup


This is one of those recipes I play with a little. Sometimes I use chicken stock instead of or as part of the water. Sometimes I just throw in "Italian Seasoning" instead of the other spices. I have also added fresh parsley at the end and I like that too. This recipe makes the same size pot we had at book club (serves about 10) so you may want to cut in in half for your family. It tastes really good with crunchy bread and some Romano cheese on top.

1 lb Sweet Italian sausage
1 large onion chopped
1 stalk celery (chopped fine)
1 tsp chopped garlic
1 cup carrot (chopped fine)
1 16 oz pkg dried lentils
8 cups water
6 tsp chicken bullion
1 (28 oz) can diced tomatoes
2 bay leaves
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/4 tsp dried thyme
1/4 tsp dried basil
1 tsp salt -- or to taste
1/2 tsp pepper -- or to taste

Rinse lentils and set aside.

Brown the sausage in your stock pot -- remove. Add the onion celery and carrot and sauté until tender -- as the veggies "sweat" scrape off the good brown bit of sausage off the bottom.

Add the sausage back into the pot with the water, lentils and remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil and then reduce and simmer for about 45 min.

Serve and enjoy!

2 comments:

Britney said...

HOORAY!!!!!!! I was, quite literally, just about to email you to harass you for this recipe. :) Now I will have to harass you about something else!

Thank you thank you!

P.S. Have you ever tried this in the crockpot?

Heidi said...

I haven't tired but i am sure it will work. We just had it last night and it was sooo good!

btw I love you picture Britney!