Friday, September 12, 2008

September Book Club @ Kara's


Last night was book club. We reviewed Princess Academy and The Goose Girl two books by Shannon Hale. I think everyone enjoyed the books, sorry Chantel there wasn't any controversy. We had a good discussion and then we read some questions from a discussion guides we found online for young adults. Here is a sampling of some of the in depth questions.
Miri’s father tells her that her mother named her
“after the flower that conquered rock and climbed
to face the sun” (page 14). Do you know why
your parentschose your name? Does your name
have a special meaningto you and your family?

The people of Mount Eskel use a kind of telepathy
to communicate with one another in the quarry.
Miri learns that the “quarry-speech” works by
sharing memories through the rock of the mountain
itself an can be used to communicate many things
besides warnings or instructions in the quarry. Have
you ever imagined a secret way to communicate
with your friends and family?How might it work?
As you can imagine we had a good time. We really did have a good discussion about names -- middle names in particular where we learned that Robyn has felt jipped her whole like for not having a middle name. I think we should all come up with one for her. Post your suggestions.

Here is Shauna enjoying the wonderful food Kara made for all of us.

Kara

Shauna, Heidi & Ruth


Robyn

Brenda, Marianna, Bethany & Christie


Here is the delicious spread Kara made for us. She has promised to post the recipes and I can't wait to make them. The wild rice soup will be made several times this fall & winter at my house! And the homemade rolls were divine.



The strawberry pie was sooo good as well. I love anything with strawberries and white chocolate!

We missed all of you who couldn't be here this month and hope you can come next time.

4 comments:

Shauna said...

How does Robyn "Sweetietweetybird" sound? It's a bit long but it has a little kick to it.

Thanks everyone for such a great time! You are all such a super bunch of girls. Thanks again Kara for such a fantastic meal, that's a hard act to follow but I'll do my best.

Robyn said...

Oh, I can't believe you are referring to a bird for my middle name Shauna! Do you know the kids sang "Red, Red Robin" to me at school when I was young. They would sing the part about the red BREAST really loud. School boys. UGH.

It was so great to come last night and see you all, it's been so long. Summer was crazy busy and my sinus plague just put me in a bad mood. So glad it's going away! The food was fabulous by Kara and the conversation was good. Thanks everyone.

PS I should have deleted that photo of me eating my salad and "mid-chew" I look like a horse chewing on some hay! That's ok. I forgive you.

Kristin said...

Don't ask why, but I am teary eyed looking at this post!! Maybe it's the amazing looking food . . .but probably not. I think it's because of all the pictures of people I really care about. You can see the love between you, the fun times you have had/are having. The bonds of true friendship this club has created. Pretty amazing results from an awesome combination of great reading, great food and awesome women. This is probably the BEST bookclub groups I have ever seen. (since I am so well-versed on a variety of groups!!) WOW--I am seriously impressed.

Chantel said...

Everything looks fabulous I wish I could have been there. And Robyn I feel your pain I don't have a middle name either, what a rip off.